Dr. Katsochi Despina MD, PhD
Radiation Oncologist at the Radiation Oncology Centre of the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Center in Athens, Hygeia
Head Radiation Oncologist of the Prostate Brachytherapy Centre of the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Center in Athens, Hygeia
Radiation Oncology Team Director
Leader of the non-profit organization for cancer prevention, AKOS
Dr. Despina Katsochi is a senior clinical Radiation Oncologist in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Hygeia Hospital in Athens.
She is certified with medical degrees of expertise in both Radiology and Radiation Oncology from the University of RWTH, in Aachen, Germany, where she was later offered the position of Associate Professor and Senior Deputy Director.
Dr. Katsochi’s field of specialty is stereotactic, intraoperative radiation therapy and brachytherapy ,especially of the prostate gland with LDR radionuclides seed implantation. Her clinical activities include general radiation oncology, treating patients with breast, cervix, prostate, bladder, and lung cancer.
She is an active member of the American, the European and the Greek Society of Radiation Oncology. She is also the 1992 International Patent holder of a specialized radiotherapy accessory and she has authored numerous original scientific articles that have been published in journals as well as chapters in books.
Languages: Greek, English
Up to date with all the latest technological developments in radiotherapy (SBR, IMRT, IGRT, γ-knife, cyberknife).
Following the evolution of radiotherapeutic methods and their combinations (external beam radiotherapy, brachytherapy, stereotaxy).
Emphasizing on radiotherapy with chemotherapy and/or targeted agent combined treatments, with the intention to preserve the affected organ and to minimize the harmful effects of radiation on healthy tissues.
- Intraoperative radiotherapy
- Stereotactic radiotherapy
- Intracavitary, interstitial high-dose rate brachytherapy (gynecological and more)
- Brachytherapy of the prostate gland with LDR radionuclides seed implantation
- Innovative techniques and protocols in radiotherapy
- Protection of healthy tissues from radiation
- Prognostic biological factors of cancer response to radiotherapy
Prostate Brachytherapy Center – HYGEIA Hospital
Prostate Brachytherapy Center is using up-to-date treatment methods to cure all diseases of urogenital tract (of kidney, ureter, urinary bladder, prostate, and remaining genital organs).
- Patient evaluation with complete record and storing of his medical history.
- Specific transrectal evaluations and studies, necessary for all diseases of the prostate gland.
- Appropriate staging of cancer, if present, and suggestion of ideal treatment regimen according to international protocols and guidelines.
- Transperineal infusion of antibiotic mixture in prostate and seminal vesicles (in cases of chronic inflammation – prostatitis).
- Transperineal prostate and seminal vesicle biopsy:
- Pioneer method of prostate cancer detection that obtains cores from all regions resulting in a detailed mapping and staging of the disease.
- This method offers the highest accuracy in prostate cancer diagnosis worldwide, and in Greece is performed only at “Hygeia Hospital” since 2008, in collaboration with Ultrasound Department.
- Prostate brachytherapy:
- Pioneer method of prostate cancer treatment facilitated by implanting radioactive sources (“seeds”).
- It is a minimal invasive procedure (blood free) and causes no complications.
- Since 2000, Center performs the latest form of prostate seed implantation called “Real Time” technique, invented at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, from Prof. Nelson Stone and his colleagues. At PBC the first modern form of prostate brachytherapy was performed in Europe (1997).
- Follow up of treated patients.